Custom Mechanical Solutions (CMS) is a mechanical equipment sales representative serving the Pacific Northwest. We are committed to providing best-in-class customer service, which starts with hiring the right people.
Our employees build relationships based on trust, are resourceful and independent, and are driven to be the best. We believe a healthy and supportive work environment that encourages employees to be creative and confident is key to achieving our goal of being the best in the business. CMS offers training, career development opportunities, and competitive salary and benefits so employees are equipped to perform their best. Our cohesive team is always ready to lend a hand or work together to accomplish goals. If you’d like to be part of our team, see our current opportunities below!
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
Sales Engineers are members of a high-performance sales team focused on our customers’ success. The Sales Engineer is responsible for developing long-term customer relationships and maximizing account penetration with contractor and consulting engineer accounts. Promotes CMS products and services by providing solutions for the customer’s business and operational needs as well as demonstrating applicable technical knowledge. Seeks to expand the depth of offerings within each account. Participates as a member of sales team on target customers and projects.
- Identifies potential opportunities with existing and new customers.
- Collects project data and compares to CMS’s capabilities.
- Develops relationships with multiple buying influences in the customer’s organization, including project managers, project engineers, construction, purchasing, and accounts payable.
- Builds relationships with contractors and consultants responsible for the decision-making process to drive the sales of CMS offerings. Actively listens, identifies opportunities and concerns.
- Determines project needs, constraints, and responsibilities to meet customer’s HVAC system design and installation requirements.
- Develops, evaluates, and discusses possible solutions with customer.
- Responsible for project take-off, selection, and pricing of equipment and services.
- Develops project fulfillment schedule. Responsible for ordering, tracking, customer follow-up, and management of project.
- Responsible for the preparation and review of the proposal. Determines price and selling strategy.
- Reviews and compares contract terms and conditions with CMS contract standards.
- Presents the proposal and negotiates price, terms, and conditions with customer.
- Determines customer needs, develops, and executes an account specific business plan.
- Assists in the development of CMS sales and marketing plans and strategies. Aids in the implementation of these strategies and action plans. Provides total account business activity reports and annual forecasts.
- Coordinates with consulting engineers in writing project specifications.
- Authorizes replacement, credit, or refund as necessary to facilitate the refund/exchange process including negotiation of back charges and customer disputes.
- Positively and credibly influences system design and construction with contractors and consultants. Frequently creates competitive, high quality and timely estimates, bids, proposals, and cost/benefit analysis. Effectively writes, presents, and communicates bids. Negotiates value, addresses resistance when demonstrated, and closes the sale.
- Assists customers in answering technical questions on HVAC systems, CMS products, system application alternatives, installation, operation, maintenance, and problem resolution.
- Flexibility to work outside normal work hours, as required.
- Maintains memberships with ASHRAE, USGBC and other industry organizations. Actively attends meetings and is involved in the construction community.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in engineering from four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Familiarity with HVAC systems and temperature control equipment preferred. The Sales Engineer works in a typical office environment with frequent visits to customer offices, factories, and project sites, which may include outdoor work and work in mechanical/equipment rooms.
Sales Engineers must have exceptional written and verbal communications skills. Candidate must demonstrate the ability and willingness to communicate in a clear, concise, and diplomatic manner. Outstanding attention to detail and excellent organizational skills are critical, as are honesty and the ability to develop and maintain deep customer relationships based on trust. Candidate must be passionate about helping our customers to be successful and must continually strive to improve their understanding of our customers’ businesses to provide first-class customer service.
The role of Service Technician at CMS is primarily responsible for commissioning new HVAC systems and controls, becoming a product expert for our key product lines, providing training to building owners and key staff, and troubleshooting and executing field service and warranty work as directed by CMS staff. Secondary responsibilities may include supporting CMS internal teams with application advice, installation planning, and control integration planning. The Service Technician role reports directly to the General Manager or a future Service Manager.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Establish project-specific start up and commissioning plans, procedures, and schedules. Start up and commission HVAC systems and controls, verifying system installation and functional performance to CMS and manufacturer’s standards.
- Provide customer/owner training on proper operation of equipment and preventative maintenance requirements.
- Field service work including: support of start and test that has been included as part of the CMS equipment package, warranty repair work, controls commissioning, and managing the field service work plan for internal and external service providers.
- Prepare service logs for all service work performed and submit in a timely fashion to the appropriate Project Manager and/or Account Manager.
- Provide troubleshooting and warranty support to customers and external service providers.
- Obtain and maintain required technical certifications required to conduct testing, maintenance, and repair of electrical and control circuits, HVAC equipment, and HVAC control systems.
- Obtain training, certification, and conduct ongoing technical education with all CMS product lines at the service and parts level.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Work closely with the CMS Operations Manager to maintain and improve customer satisfaction.
- Coordinate customer needs with CMS Service Coordinator.
- Provide pre-start up assistance and coordination with the sales engineer and customer on an as needed basis.
- Manage external service providers for specific projects, service and preventative maintenance contract fulfillment, pricing requests, and manpower planning, and service project closeout. Coordinate external resources as needed to achieve closeout of service projects.
- Provide start up, commissioning, troubleshooting and warranty support for modular chiller system equipment and controls.
- Manage the installation of cooling tower accessories on new cooling tower projects. Inspect cooling towers for retrofit and aftermarket sales of cooling tower parts.
- Provide installation support, start up, commissioning, troubleshooting and warranty support for air handling units and controls.
- Become product expert in applying, installing, commissioning, and sales support for variable refrigerant flow (VRF) equipment and controls.
- Install, apply, program, and retrofit variable frequency drives (VFD).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Solid understanding of HVAC systems and controls.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents (i.e., blueprints, mechanical and schematic drawings) and system documents (i.e., product specifications and procedures).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Ability to produce results for the benefit of the company and customers while working independently without supervision.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite – Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Low voltage electrical certification.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record meeting the company policy conditions.
- Occasional overnight travel up to 10%.
- Minimum of five (5) years of HVAC service, equipment, controls, or related experience.
- Mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology degree, HVAC certification, or HVAC apprenticeship.
- Experience commissioning HVAC equipment.
- Experience with refrigeration systems.
- Washington electrician license.
- Passion for customer service.
- Proven ability to solve problems.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Willingness and desire for learning, personal development, and growth.
UPCOMING CAREER EVENTS
None at this time. Check back soon!
None at this time. Check back soon!